Wednesday, December 2, 2009

December 2


I woke up this morning and I thought to myself “if I don’t straighten my hair this morning I can sleep another 15 minutes or so.” Seeing as I went to sleep at 4 a.m. and had to wake up at 8 a.m. my choice was obvious. I pressed snooze. I thought about this issue (later on when I woke up of course) and how it relates to gender issue. It’s my personal belief that there is much more pressure on women to look attractive and spend time on their appearance. While men have several pressures to go work out and have a six-pack, women have a few more pressures I believe. We highlight our hair, wear make up to conceal everything, we don’t wear shorts if we didn’t shave our legs, and we wear uncomfortable tight clothes to highlight our silhouettes. I don’t think men are as pressured to do so much to make themselves more attractive to women. I think this is very interesting considering nature. Usually in nature (as far as animals are concerned) the male has to attract the female. For example, a male peacock has a brilliant blue color and an elaborate tail in order to gain attention from the female. However, a peahen isn’t as special. She doesn’t have to be. She’s the one that has to be attracted, not so much attractive. Another example is a lion. The male lion has a luscious mane in order to attract the lioness while the lioness is much plainer looking in comparison to the male. So how it seems that with our species it’s the women that are considered the ones that are desperate for the mate and that they have to make themselves more attractive in order for men to be interested?

No comments:

Post a Comment